Re: Bug comments

On Mi, 2008-03-26 at 21:48 +0000, Bruce Cowan wrote:
> Since the Hardy beta, I have noticed a lot of useless noise on malone.
> People treat it as if it was a forum.
>
> For instance, some add "me too" comments. Others start insulting the
> developers saying "I'll leave if you don't fix this". Yet more ask
> questions in bugs, and others answer them.
>
> This makes it rather difficult to actually see what needs to be done to
> fix the bug.
>
> I propose some kind of commenting guidelines that should be displayed
> underneath the "Add a comment/attachment" dropdown.
> --
> Bruce Cowan <bcowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Maybe it could be useful to give the project's bug-contact a possibility
to mark some comments as "useless" (or even spam), which would sort of
hide them (I'm thinking of youtube here, maybe a line saying "hidden
comment by Some Name, click to <here> show").
This would not stop those comments from being made in the first place
but once they are marked, it may discourage them from me-too-ing.
However, I'm not sure if that wouldn't stop shy people from making
comments which do contain useful information.

Kjell