Closing the flood gates on implicit bug subscriptions

Hi all,

Tom Berger asked me to write the list about a little problem I'm having with bug contact subscriptions for bugs with a large number of tasks.

First of all, to give people an idea of what I'm talking about you can have a look at some bugs [0-2]. Notice how many tasks, comments, and implicit subscribers ("Also Notified" in the Subscribers portlet).

The problem essentially is that there are a lot of people getting bugmail for these "metabugs" and it's causing problems. People want to be able to opt-out of these bugs. The are often just process bugs where developers are tracking progress of mass packaging changes rather than actual code bugs that most bug contacts would be interested in.

Another problem is we tend to get bugs with a lot of "Invalid" tasks, either by mistake when reporting or as the bug develops. See for instance, [3].

There are three bugs in Launchpad right now that I feel address these issues: