Re: Copy packages to same PPA, different distro

Quoting Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@xxxxxxxxx>:

[...]
- Automatically copying packages between two PPAs. For instance, for
Zumastor we have two PPAs, zumastor-team and zumastor-releases. Everytime a
svn commit is done to the Zumastor repository, a package is built and
published to the zumastor-team PPA. On the other hand, only the stable
releases are published to the zumastor-releases PPA (ATM, manually copied
from zumastor-team). Automating this would make life easier.

Interesting setup, it seems to be the adopted pattern for all
Product-related PPAs, development & release.

Are you imagining something kind of programmatic way to trigger the
copies once you are happy with QA ? a API ?

I've forward this e-mail to Will Nowak, who is in charge of the script which automates package building of Zumastor. He knows better than me. One thing he'd surely like to have is an RSS feed of the packages a PPA publishes (currently for Zumastor we are scraping).

- Automatically building a package for more than one release (in the same
PPA or in a different one). For instance, I may want to build my package for
Gutsy, Hardy and Intrepid. ATM, either I manually copy the package (which
does not work) or I upload the source three times (which is a PITA)

Right, propagating source & binaries once they are built ...

That's indeed a good idea. Can you file a bug about it, please ?

I've filed bug #235064. This could be as easy as supporting the Debian Policy as stated in http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-dpkgchangelog (it says you can specify several distro releases in the debian/changelog file)

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org