Re: Copy packages to same PPA, different distro

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Dan <danmbox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Launchpad checks if the binary version is 'publishable' anything else
>>  can't be accurately checked, unfortunately.
>>  Note that 'installable' and 'fully-functional' are also different concepts.
>
> I meant "will be able to satisfy binary dependencies and install
> cleanly". I'm not sure if that would be "publishable" or
> "installable".

Checking if binary dependencies can be satisfied in the archive domain
(PRIMARY + PPA), can be tricky. I'm not sure we want to go down in
this track full of race-conditions. We don't even do such checks for
ubuntu packages.

>> It's not only about the archive topology, but mainly for packaging consistency.
>>  If foo-bin works fine for gutsy and hardy why would you have to
>>  rebuild it and in case it doesn't work as expected in a later series
>>  the issue should be fixed and documented as a new version of the
>
> It would be useful to have a different binary for Hardy (even when the
> Gutsy binary works) in the cases when Hardy provides updated libraries
> that the package uses. Say libfoo1 is available both in Gutsy and
> Hardy, but Hardy also provides libfoo2. The source package may not
> care (it requires either libfoo1 | libfoo2). But the Gutsy .deb cannot
> depend on libfoo2 (only libfoo1 is available on Gutsy), while the
> Hardy .deb can. So two .deb's would be very beneficial.

"Build-depends: libfoo1-dev | libfoo2-dev"  would work just fine and
libfoo2 should be a shared-lib and replace libfoo1 automatically in
hardy. I can't clearly see the benefit of having bin-NMUs, specially
compared with all the confusion it might cause.

>>  package. So the evolution goes on, step by step.
>
> How would this work? Would I need to maintain three separate source
> packages (one for Debian unstable, one for Hardy and one for Gutsy)?
> Even though the exact same source package would build fine on all
> distros and create different .deb's with different functionality (see
> point above)?

The rule is actually can be as simple as: When you have to change
either packaging data or the upstream source itself to make it work in
a specific series, you need to create, upload and build another source
version. The opposite is not always true, when the binary from a
previous series installs fine in all other newer series you don't need
to rebuild the source, copying source & binaries will be okay, unless
there is a problem somewhere else, like pathological ABI changes that
are either well known and documented or went in unnoticed :(.

I'm sure MOTU guys will be happy to help you with specific issues
about your packages, to minimize the number of packages while keeping
them consistent across multiple ubuntu series.

[]
--
Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
IRC: cprov, Jabber: cprov@xxxxxxxxxx, Skype: cprovidelo