Re: Copy packages to same PPA, different distro

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
<pgquiles@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quoting Christian Robottom Reis <kiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 09:09:19PM +0200, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
>>>
>>> I know but I'm not sure copying a binary between different
>>> distributions (for instance, Gutsy and Hardy) makes sense, as the
>>> binary would probably not work due to linkage issues.
>>
>> Copying forwards should be okay. Copying backwards will usually not work
>> (unless the libraries really didn't break binary compat).
>
> Not necessarily. If I build for Gutsy but the library breaks ABI
> compatibility in Hardy, the Gutsy binary won't work in Hardy (and of course
> the Hardy binary won't work on Gutsy, either).

That's a 'pathological' case and should be documented as such. It
certainly will affect more than PPA copies.

--
Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
IRC: cprov, Jabber: cprov@xxxxxxxxxx, Skype: cprovidelo