Re: Rosetta after 31 July 2008

On June 30, 2008, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2008, at 11:52 AM, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> > Accepting BSD translations doesn't require you to change your existing
> > translations to a different license. In fact, you can GPL the
> > translations that you receive under the BSD license. That's one of the
> > major reasons to use BSD: it's lax enough that it shouldn't really
> > prevent _anyone_ from using it in whatever way they want, as long as
> > they include the notice.
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for the follow up.  I think the problem is that because my
> current translations are all GPL and FSF assigned, I can't upload them
> to LP and still be in compliance with LP's requirements.
>
> So if I wanted to use LP for Mailman translations, I'd have to start
> from scratch.

Someone from the Translations team should confirm, but I think that when you
import them as coming from 'upstream', they won't be offered as 'suggestions'
to other project. In other words, only translations entered by Launchpad
users through the web interface are considered as your contributions and thus
licensed as BSD.

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx