Re: BSD licence

Hi Tiago,

Today at 2:29, Tiago Saboga wrote:

> I send this mail to reply to this point. No, I cannot agree with you.
> In a sense, every creation is re-creation, and I am not totally opposed
> to the idea of totally dropping copyright. But if there is copyright,
> the translations have to have copyright on their own (besides the
> original author copyright).
>
> In the context of software, I can see why this is not really clear:
> the translations are often very short, and one could argue that even
> the original text could not be covered by copyright (as for menu
> items: file, open, quit etc.).
>
> But take the other extreme of translation, poetry. It can take years
> to make a good translation of a single poem, and it surely is a
> creative work. Not the *same* kind of work, sure, but still creative.

That's exactly how modern copyright laws (they differ from country to
country in small details, but still share a lot) treat translation
work: they are copyrighted by the original author (as a derivative of
their original work), and by a translator (for the translation itself).

What we are covering here in Launchpad Translations is only the
copyright for and license to use work by the translator, done directly
in Launchpad (which includes the work uploaded as 'non-published' work).

Cheers,
Danilo