Re: Rosetta after 31 July 2008

Andi Albrecht wrote:

After reading the discussions about the license issue on this list,
I'm pretty unsure about the consequences. I have no problems with the
BSD license, but at least I want to have all translations licensed the
same as the project itself.

Let's assume the following:

I've uploaded a template and a german translation to Launchpad, both
GPL'ed. Someone adds for example a spanish translation and someone
else changes one or two strings in my german translation. Does this
mean that I come up with a GPL'ed template, a BSD licensed spanish
translation and a GPL'ed german translation with one or two strings
licensed under BSD?

The template and the German are GPL. The Spanish translation is BSD but can be distributed under GPL, so you don't need to care about the difference (except you're _also_ allowed to use it for other projects with GPL-incompatible licenses). The one or two strings, unless they're unusually long, are not separately copyrightable so they just become a part of the GPL'ed German translation.

So what you end up with in this example is a pure-GPL set of translations, except there are some extra things you're allowed to do with the German one.

Jeroen