Re: python setup.py sdist -does not include all files under revision

Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to make a release and would like to upload tar.gz file to launchpad.
> After some searching I found out that this command should get that done for me:
>
> python setup.py sdist
>
> Unfortunately it does not include all files in the package/ files
> under revision.
>
> I've installed setuptools_bzr in a hope that 'python setup.py sdist'
> would include all the folders I have included in my package.

I've never used setuptools_bzr, but my personal recommendation is to
manually create your MANIFEST.in file... you probably don't want always
to include everything under version control in your sdist package. Often
times you will have certain scripts and whatnot that are handy from
within the checkout, but just don't make sense to include in the sdist
package.

For what it's worth, I've been working on a tool to make it super easy
to go from the bzr branch of a Python project (packaged using
setuptools) to a Debian/Ubuntu package, including building under
pbuilder and uploading to your PPA. For the past 5 months I've been too
busy with my day job to really work on it, but prior to that I made a
decent start. It's called bzr-release:

  https://launchpad.net/bzr-release

It's self-hosting so it is itself a good example of how to use it, plus
I have two other projects using it:

  https://launchpad.net/pyawesome

  https://launchpad.net/snakebite

Please let me know if you happen to be interested in testing/developing
bzr-release... I'm sure some outside interest would help guilt/inspire
me to work on it more.  ;)

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Jason DeRose