Re: [Launchpad-users] Your top three wishes for Launchpad? (4.0 planning)

> Karl Fogel wrote:
> > With the 3.0 release coming up soon, we're beginning the 4.0
> > planning process.  To help with prioritization, we'd like to know
> > your top 3 wishes for Launchpad 4.0.  Please follow up in this
> > thread, and...
> >
> > *** *** *** Don't change your response based on other responses in
> > this thread. *** *** ***
> >
> > That is, if you were going to say "I want a wiki", and you see
> > other people saying that already, please *still* say it -- we want
> > to gauge relative popularity too.
> >
> > Naturally, this survey is extremely anecodotal, non-rigorous, etc,
> > and we're not promising what will get implemented.  We're just
> > gathering data so we can prioritize.  (Though now that Launchpad is
> > open source, you can also get involved directly in improving it if
> > you want; see https://dev.launchpad.net/ for information on that.)

Hi Karl,

Thanks for asking.

1) A personal page that helps me organise my work; where's the page that
   shows me all the code review that I have been asked to do across LP?
   Logging in and going to a page that is tailored to my work would save
   me having to poll multiple pages in LP and allow me to do things that
   I can't currently do.

   Being able to see outstanding code reviews that I have to do, reviews
   I requested that need fixing, bugs assigned to me or where I have
   been asked a question, bugs that have had activity since I last looked
   or requested information, new bugs that need triage in projects that
   I work on, new branches pushed to projects that I own, translations
   that need approving, questions that I can probably answer, open bugs
   that are targeted to an approaching milestone would be great. Then
   use some magic algorithm to sort it all, and allow me to filter and
   turn up and down the information I get about particular projects or
   areas of LP would make it perfect.

2) Sexy code review.

   I realise that there is work going on in this area, but it is still my
   main wish for 4.0, and one that I can reasonably hope to see implemented.

   Code review is one of the most important activities that we do, we should
   do lots and lots of it, and our tools should allow us to focus on reviewing
   the code and help us to get the highest quality possible.  It is also one
   of the things that a code hosting site should excel at.

   I find the current system to vary between usable and good, and I don't think
   that's enough. I think Launchpad's code review system and workflow should
   knock your socks off, it should cause people's jaws to drop the first time
   they see it, and cause them to flock to Launchpad; we don't have that yet.

   I realise it is tough, but I think this should be the major focus of the
   Launchpad Code team for the next cycle, with help from the other teams to
   integrate it well (along with making Code work well for Ubuntu ;-)

3) Source packages from bzr branches.

   We have a proposed plan for this, let's make it happen, it will be great.

   Relatedly, while I don't use it I'm a fan of the bzr/translations integration,
   and think more of this "loop closing" would be very beneficial. For instance,
   the bug life-cycle being driven by a branch where one is attached would be
   great. Launchpad deals with all these areas of project management currently,
   but it doesn't make the most of opportunities to capitalise on the integration.

4) A pony.

   Oh, go on.

Thanks,

James