Re: [Launchpad-users] Why is the URL of launchpad user mailman interface resolving to something else.

Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>> This needn't be an either/or choice. The initial archive page could
>>> directly list all the messages, with month headings, from however
>>> many months comes closest to the maximum messages per page. (For
>>> example if the maximum is 500 messages per page, and there have been
>>> 467 messages since June 1st and 511 since May 1st, list all messages
>>> from June 1st onwards on the first page.) That list could be followed
>>> by links to dedicated pages for earlier months.
>> I'm not sure how to achieve this in MHonArc, though, which is what
>> we're using.  IIRC, MHonArc supports either the N-messages-per-page
>> style we're using now, *or* per-month pages.
>
> Then you'd need to patch MHonArc. But this kind of display would
> be useful for almost all mailing lists, not just Launchpad's, so I
> expect they'd be quite happy to accept a change like that upstream.

I agree this would be an improvement, but I'm not sure it's more
important than other work -- even than other mailing-list-related
improvements, such as search.

(By the way, as far as I can tell, upstream isn't very active anymore;
we'd likely be maintaining a patch against it.  The most recent release
is 2.6.16, from June of 2006.  There is still a small amount of CVS
commit activity, and dev@ list activity, so maybe there will be another
release someday, but... it's been three years.  See
http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/html/mhonarc-commits/ and
http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/html/mhonarc-dev/ for details.)

-Karl