Re: [Launchpad-users] File X.diff.gz already exists in Y's PPA, but uploaded version has different contents

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 20:40 +0100, Fabian Köster wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> > The subject of your email references the "diff" but you mention the "orig"
> > here.
> >
> > Have you already uploaded the same version of this package to your PPA
> >  before? You can't do it again, and Launchpad won't allow the same filename
> >  to be uploaded twice with different contents either.
>
> You are right, it is about the "diff", not the "orig" and the same version of
> this package is already in my PPA.
>
> I thought it should be possible to upload the same package with same version
> multiple times, as long as the original source ("orig.tar.gz") does not
> change. But probably you are right.
>
> I am constantly working on the packaging and therefore modifying the files
> under debian/ and hoped it is possible to leave the version for not having to
> increase it every time.

One possible way to accommodate this work flow would be to delete the
package from your PPA every time you need to upload with the same
version number, before you try to upload.  That way the files you are
attempting to upload are no longer in the PPA and will be accepted once
again.

1.  Go to your PPA main page.
2.  Click on the "View package details" link.
3.  Click on the "Delete Packages" link.
4.  Select the box next to each of the packages you wish to delete.
5.  Add any optional "Deletion Comment" to explain why you are removing
the package(s), if you so desire.
6.  Click on the "Request Deletion" button to remove the selected
packages.

I'm not sure of the timing in light of the comment:

        Package deletion can take some time before the packages are
        actually removed. See the full PPA help page.

The fact that the linked page doesn't mention anything about package
deletion fails to remedy my ignorance.

7.  Now you should be able to upload the source package with the same
version number.

Enjoy,

Richard
--