Re: [Launchpad-users] FW: armel-cross-toolchain-base_1.50-1backport1_amd64.changes rejected

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Scott Howard <showard314@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Peter Pearse <Peter.Pearse@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Please explain in terms a PPA newby can unserstand.....

Sorry, I might have been a little not-newby-friendly:

(Please excuse me if I'm too basic, just want to be clear)

Launchpad will build your packages from source code and distribute it
as properly constructed .deb files for your users. In order to build
the packages, it needs to upstream source code (the .orig.tar.gz
files) and your changes to the source code (the debian.gz file). Those
files are created when you run the command "dpkg-buildpackage -S -sa"
(or use pbuilder, debbuild, etc.). That command will also create .dsc
and .changes files, which are used by launchpad to process your upload
and build. When you use the "dput" command, you upload all 4 of those
files to launchpad, which will then build your package with as many
.deb files as are listed in your debian/control file.

If you make changes to a package without upgrading the upstream code
to a new version, that means you can reuse your .orig.tar.gz that is
already in your PPA and can just build your package using
"dpkg-buildpackage -S". That will only create 3 files ( .debian.gz,
.changes, .dsc).

I think my previous email makes sense in this context.