Re: Build fails on Launchpad but works locally

On 13 November 2014 22:29, Martinx - ジェームズ <thiagocmartinsc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 13 November 2014 22:01, William Grant <william.grant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> It looks like you're building on a host Ubuntu desktop system with
>> thousands of packages installed, while Launchpad builds packages in a
>> clean chroot environment containing just the package's necessary build
>> dependencies. Try building the package with pbuilder locally
>> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PbuilderHowto), and hopefully the clean
>> environment will be able to reproduce the failure.
>>
>> I also notice that you're invoking debian/rules manually, which isn't
>> usually done. Have you read http://packaging.ubuntu.com/html/? You
>> should be using dpkg-buildpackage or debuild instead.
>>
>> William.
>>

> William,
>
>  Yes, I'm building it at my Desktop and I also have `pbuilder-dist`
> ready in a `KVM Guest`, I'll try to compile on it too.
>
>  I also tried "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us" alongside with
> "make -f debian/rules build", both works locally.
>
>  I'll try to build it again, but now on my Utopic pbuilder env, plus
> my PPA within it, to see if I got the same results from Launchpad.
>
> Thanks!
> Thiago

Hey William!

I'm seeing the same error that I see on Launchpad build log, but now
locally within my pbuilder environment.

Like this:

$ pbuilder-dist utopic build python-efl_1.11.0-0utopic3.dsc

---

.... cut ....

  dh_clean -O--buildsystem=python_distutils
 dpkg-source -b python-efl-1.11.0
dpkg-source: info: using options from
python-efl-1.11.0/debian/source/options:
--extend-diff-ignore=\.egg-info
dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: info: building python-efl using existing
./python-efl_1.11.0.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: building python-efl in
python-efl_1.11.0-0utopic3.debian.tar.xz
dpkg-source: info: building python-efl in python-efl_1.11.0-0utopic3.dsc
 debian/rules build
dh build --with python2 --buildsystem=python_distutils
   dh_testdir -O--buildsystem=python_distutils
   dh_auto_configure -O--buildsystem=python_distutils
   dh_auto_build -O--buildsystem=python_distutils
Checking for Eina: OK, found 1.12.0
Checking for Eo: OK, found 1.12.0
Checking for Evas: OK, found 1.12.0
Checking for Ecore: OK, found 1.12.0
Checking for EcoreFile: OK, found 1.12.0
Checking for EcoreInput: OK, found 1.12.0
Checking for EcoreX: OK, found 1.12.0
Checking for Ethumb: Ethumb version mismatch. Found: 1.12.0  Needed: 1.11.0
dh_auto_build: python setup.py build --force returned exit code 1
debian/rules:7: recipe for target 'build' failed
make: *** [build] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
E: Failed autobuilding of package
I: unmounting dev/pts filesystem
I: unmounting run/shm filesystem
I: unmounting proc filesystem
I: cleaning the build env
I: removing directory /var/cache/pbuilder/build//7712 and its subdirectories
---

The "utopic" pbuilder environment _have_ the PPA
(`ppa:martinx/enlightenment`) on it and it is updated, otherwise,
`Ecore 1.12.0` would not be detected in first place (it came from the
PPA package `libefl-dev`, I'm seeing it being downloaded from
`ppa.launchpad.net`), and it doesn't exists in Ubuntu.

Also, I'm seeing that `Ethumb 1.12.0` is detected! But somehow,
`python-efl` said it needs `1.11.0` but, that's not the case! Since it
detects `Ethumb 1.12.0` outside of the pbuilder environment and uses
it as expected, the compilation then works...

So, I asked first on Enlightenment-Users list, because it appears to
be something wrong with `python-efl` but, it compiles outside of the
pbuilder environment, so, it is fine (probably).

But now, I'm thinking that there is something wrong within the
pbuilder environment itself... Don't you think?!

I'll try to compile the `python-efl` package on a brand new Ubuntu
14.10 VM, using Server ISO CD minimum install, plus the PPA, to see if
it behaves like the small pbuilder environment... Maybe on desktops it
works differently, as you suggested.

Thank you for your help!

-
Thiago