Re: Problem with Ubuntu 15.04 since upgrading: Launchpad vivid not found

Dear Colin,

Thank you very much for all the comments. It looks very helpful.

Best

Susana

On 09/07/15 13:12, Colin Watson wrote:
On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 12:56:27PM +0100, Susana wrote:
I upgraded Ubuntu from 14.04 -> 14.10 -> 15.04. Since then, Ubuntu is
unstable, can stop working or hang up completely (I think that this improved
a little bit since I installed the new upgrades available).
We can't help you with this part; it's not a problem with Launchpad.

When I run in a terminal:

                sudo apt-get update,

there are some errors in the output saying that "http://ppa.launchpad.net
vivid/main amd64 Packages and the i386 version were not found", see blue
bold lines below:
[...]
*Err http://ppa.launchpad.net vivid/main amd64 Packages **
**  404  Not Found**
**Err http://ppa.launchpad.net vivid/main i386 Packages **
**  404  Not Found*
[...]
*W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/marutter/rdev/ubuntu/dists/vivid/main/binary-amd64/Packages
404  Not Found*

*W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/marutter/rdev/ubuntu/dists/vivid/main/binary-i386/Packages
404  Not Found*

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.
PPAs are published by Launchpad, but their contents are managed by the
individual users who own them, in this case
https://launchpad.net/~marutter.  You have several options here,
depending on your exact requirements from that archive:

  * You could ask that user to publish their packages for 15.04 (vivid)
    as well.
  * You could look through /etc/apt/sources.list and
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* to find where that PPA is mentioned and
    change "vivid" to "trusty", to use the version published there for
    Ubuntu 14.04 (namely 3.2.0.20150613-1trusty).
  * Since that PPA only provides r-base for 14.04 and no other source
    packages, perhaps the version of r-base in 15.04 (namely 3.1.2-2) is
    good enough and you can just disable this PPA and use Ubuntu's
    version.

Anyway, the only consequence of this is that you get some annoying error
messages and that the R packages in that archive are unavailable to you.
You should certainly tidy it up one way or another, but it won't be
responsible for making your system unstable.

I have a grub and can select either Ubuntu or Windows (8.1) when starting
the system (I am not sure if maybe due to the grub, Ubuntu 15.04 was not
installed correctly or these problems arose for other reason).
This sounds normal and unrelated.  GRUB is always used to start Ubuntu,
and it will normally show up at boot time if you have an alternative
operating system installed.

Do you know if the problems with Ubuntu 15.04 are due to the lack of this
package (Launchpad), or maybe because there is some other problem in the
installation?
Launchpad isn't a package; it's the infrastructure for Ubuntu itself as
well as for other things like PPAs.  It's not installed on your computer
and isn't causing whatever problems you have with the rest of Ubuntu.
Perhaps https://askubuntu.com/ can help you track that problem down in
more detail, now that you know that the ppa.launchpad.net part is
unrelated.

Regards,