Re: Cadence of deletion of packages

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 12:10:26PM +0300, José Pekkarinen wrote:
> On 2021-07-11 11:36, Colin Watson wrote:
> > "Deleted" just means that it's deleted from the published archive on
> > disk, as seen by apt.  Most of the associated files (except small ones
> > like build logs) are then garbage-collected from Launchpad after a week
> > or so, which has happened in this case.
> >
> > "Deleted" does not mean "expunged from history".  Nothing is pending
> > here; the deletion is merely still recorded in the PPA's history, which
> > is intentional.
>
>   While I believe what you say, it seems
> some change files gets preserved, for example,
> the change that made me write:
>
>  ofono - 1.17.bzr6912+16.04.20160314.3-1ubports0	(changes
> file)	2021-07-03	Deleted
>
>   failed its purpose under testing, then
> I changed the patch, I asked the removal of
> the deb, and I never could re-upload it since
> there was a change file with different content.
> The only way to get to it was bumping the
> revision, even when there was not 2 changes.

That's correct - the fact that an upload of that version was made will
never be forgotten.  You must increase the version number when you make
a new upload (and it isn't normally necessary to delete the previous one
first - just make a new upload with a higher version to replace it).

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                           [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]