libravatar-fans team mailing list archive

Re: Discussion: API keys - follow up from IRC

On 3/12/19 2:23 PM, Oliver Falk wrote:
> Yes, federation wouldn't work - only if we do not encrypt the hash, but
> instead the mail-address (makes sense, since it's anyway encrypted) and
> Libravatar proxies the requests to the federated site. Which means, that
> these sites would only need to trust Libravatar.

This is problematic as it forces centralization. I don't have a better
proposition for now but this is an interesting and important discussion
to have.

> BTW. That raises the question in my mind do we know how many sites
> actually run their own Libravatar (compatible) service? I guess
> no!? @Francois Marier <mailto:francois@xxxxxxxxxxx> do you know anything?

I guess it is impossible to find. You can count mine and tastytea's for
sure. Debian, Mozilla and git.kernel.org use their own or do they use
libravatar.org?