libravatar-fans team mailing list archive

Re: Moving on from Freenode

Hello,

On Thu, 2021-05-20 at 13:27 +0200, clime wrote:
> I like IRC very much and I don't really plan on stop using it.

I don't think to need to, but I'm reasonably sure that you can find a
matrix client that you'll enjoy :)

> That being said, I don't want to hinder any progress. Maybe I would
> argue,
> that gitlab issue tracker is the best for more long-term questions :)
> and IRC
> is more "ask and if you are lucky, you get the answer :).
>
> What client I would use to connect to libravatar channel if we went
> fully by your idea?

While I personally use the element Flatpak[1] on Fedora, as well as
Element-android from F-droid[2], some people consider that a bit boring
or mono-cultural, therefore I want to recommend to also have a look at
FluffyChat[3] or Fractal[4]. Note, there might be some restrictions in
the feature set, such as E2EE and video chats not being available in
Fractal, however, all of those clients should be well-suited for the
usage of a public room such as libravatar will be.

> What would be the communication protocol then?

The protocol that is used, would be matrix[5]. Matrix is a federated
messaging protocol (in the basic mindeset comparable to XMPP), that has
found a lot of adoption recently in the free software world as well as
around universities.

There are multiple ways to host own matrix servers[6], there are also
public matrix servers available[7], and while right now, there is no
fully functional alternative server implementation to synapse, there
are various upcoming, providing more diversity in that spectrum as
well.

---

I hope that answers your questions so far and I'll provide some more
details on basics in a second e-mail.

[1]: https://flathub.org/apps/details/im.riot.Riot
[2]: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/im.vector.app/
[3]: https://fluffychat.im/en/