libravatar-fans team mailing list archive

Re: Moving on from Freenode

Hello libravatars,

as Oliver asked me on IRC to maybe give a little hand to everyone new
to matrix, I wanted to write up a few sentences on what to do.

To begin with, every account on matrix has a homeserver. It's **your**
service provider. There is a set of public homeserver providers[2],
most promenently matrix.org itself. But many will already be involved
with IT and maybe want host the homeserver on their own, like I do, for
that, see the installation guide of synapse.[1]

Once you signed up, you'll probably be using a web client and can
explore matrix a bit. Here you can join the room #libravatar:shivering-
isles.com, which is the alias I created to point at the libravatar
room. But feel free to check the room directory for many other place.

If you want to sit on the couch and talk about libravatar, element-
android might be the mobile client of your choice. On your desktop
there is the electron-based Element client or for the native package
squad, there are fluffychat, fractal and many more.[3]

Many things in matrix work very similar to IRC, however you'll notice
differences in features, starting from the ability to upload pictures,
persistent history and more.

An important concept of matrix is the synchronisation of rooms. Your
client will always and only communicate with your homeserver. Your
homeserver will take care of synchronsing the room state with other
homeservers. That means that no only is it irrelevant what room alias a
room has, as one can assign an own room alias on every homeserver, it
also means that a room can't be "offline". You always talk to your
homeserver's copy of the room, so as long as your homeserver is online,
the room is online.

I'm really looking forward to hang out with you on matrix and hope we
can sort out the details soon!

[1]: https://matrix.org/docs/guides/installing-synapse
[2]: https://www.hello-matrix.net/public_servers.php
[3]: https://matrix.org/clients/