lightspark-users team mailing list archive

Re: Using gstreamer?

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> IMHO the Lightspark project should concentrate on making a complete
> and high-quality AVM2/Flash API implementation
> and not spend resources on tangential problems.
> Even if some of its requirements for media playback are different from
> what a simple video player has,  I think
> using gstreamer/clutter+other tried and tested libraries instead of
> ffmpeg+homegrown GL rendering

clutter-gst is fairly well maintained, since it's being planned to use
in webkit-clutter for html5 video rendering:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/clutter-gst/

I'm not sure if GStreamer will allow us to play RTMP/RTMPE streams directly.

The main issue that I can see is integrating Clutter and Cairo - I'm
not sure about the performance. GTK+ 4 will be based on Clutter, and
from what I understand the plan to get there is to improve cairo's
cogl backend, and improving Clutter's API to be able to use it. I'll
talk to Emmanuele tomorrow to see if this is a good fit.

I know a lot about Clutter, but I probably won't have time to
contribute code. Feel free to ask me any questions about the GNOME
stack in general.

> would buy in the long run a few advantages:
> - less code to maintain, and less of it platform specific

Cogl/Clutter stole the matrix from Mesa, so we can remove our own
matrix implementation for a fast one.

> - gains from whenever those libs evolve and implement hw accelerated
> video playback
> - support various fringe architectures, where it is more likely to
> have a gstreamer plugin than something that can be piggybacked on the
> existing ffmpeg code
> - runtime selection between GL/GLES
> - easier contributions in the rendering/playback parts of code from
> those with experience in the GNOME stack
>
> It is likely not an easy task but I feel it may be worth doing.
> Any drawbacks - besides the effort needed - that I am missing?

Clutter's Actor/Stage API may match up on the surface, but it may be
tricky to implement Flash in terms of Clutter. Clutter's API is also
somewhat of a moving target as Emmanuele and friends are cleaning it
up for Clutter 2.0, so it's probably best that we wait until then.