lightspark-users team mailing list archive

Re: Using gstreamer?

Hi everyone,

the reason why ffmpeg has been used in lightspark is that, ultimately,
gstreamer will resort to ffmpeg to provide the actual decoding support.
Since I wanted for lightspark to strive for efficiency adding layers of
indirection has been avoided as much as possible.

I, of course, see that, as several part of the codebase have been moved
to using glib and gtk provided functionality it makes sense to also use
other parts of the platform. I'd like to add a couple of points to the
discussion though.

1) Let's be pragmatical and avoid getting everything from the platform
just for the sake of it.
2) Although I'm 100% positive that pulling in cairo was the only sane
solution to provide good vectorial graphics we are still plagued by
cairo non thread safety and still severely limit lightspark ability to
scale over multiple processors. cairo is used by everyone and I am sure
that cairo maturity will improve over time, but still lightspark had
pushed the limit of the implementation. For this reason I would like to
avoid pulling in clutter now. When it will be used by major, complex
applications we may decide to use it. Moreover, there is no work AFAIK
currently on graphics stuff, so I don't see any urgent reason to rework
that code. If reworking will be needed to add more features it would
make lots of sense to migrate to clutter though.
3) About gstreamer, I think it could make sense to use it, but please do
not think that it is the only solution to have features like hardware
decoding. It would be easy to have them using ffmpeg as well, it's just
a matter of working a bit on the code. I have never done it before since
I had no supported hardware. The biggest advantage I see in moving to
gstreamer is to make it more easy to ship lightspark by default. Still
it will be useless without the ffmpeg-gstreamer plugin installed

Cheers guys, is nice to see some good talking on the list
Alessandro