linaro-release team mailing list archive

[Blueprint linaro-general-release-process-improvements-lcq4.11] Linaro release process improvements

Blueprint changed by Zach Pfeffer:

Whiteboard changed:
  Agenda:
  * current release process - what's the current process?
  * release internals - how the release works?
  * the road to continuous integration - how the CI is going to transform the release?

-
- Notes from LDS
-
+ [zpfeffer 2011/10/31] Notes from LDS:
  Current Release Process

  Monthly
  Last Thursday of the month

  How do we decide what goes into the release?

  How do we communicate which patches have landed?
-     Track which patches have actually landed in the tip?
-
+     Track which patches have actually landed in the tip?
+
  CI works if we fix things when they break
-     Android has to rebase each day for some repos, kernel gets rebased
+     Android has to rebase each day for some repos, kernel gets rebased

  Need to track Linus-HEAD and Deepak-HEAD

  AI: Deepak: What does Linux Linaro's kernel need to be
  AI: Ricardo: Discuss Linus HEAD, Linus NEXT
  AI: <platform team>: kernel flows docs
- AI: Zach:
+ AI: Zach:
  AI: Deepak: Will look at each kernel that we ship and say which patches made it in

  Release Internals

  Planning, Post-mortum
-    Essential and High and committed to be delivered
+    Essential and High and committed to be delivered

  BPs used in status.linaro.org

  Alexander
-    A few things
-       Planning takes too long
-           Expectation: Post-mortum on Friday 23:59 UTC
-               Plan is available on Monday UTC 23:59
-               You should have the backlog sorted by priority
-           Should happen on Mumble not IRC
+    A few things
+       Planning takes too long
+           Expectation: Post-mortum on Friday 23:59 UTC
+               Plan is available on Monday UTC 23:59
+               You should have the backlog sorted by priority
+           Should happen on Mumble not IRC

-     QA Testing
-         Happens on release
-         Android has a QA engineer
-         Need to test components
-         Components needed
-         Release checkpoint shipped along with components
+     QA Testing
+         Happens on release
+         Android has a QA engineer
+         Need to test components
+         Components needed
+         Release checkpoint shipped along with components

  AI: asac: will drive test standardization across the industry.

  CI

  Android is here, need to get Ubuntu there
- Disk space issues, staging PPA and
+ Disk space issues, staging PPA and

  AI: Ricardo: Need disk space
  AI: component release testing
  AI: Paul: Fix deployment and roleout
  AI: Paul: Need smoke tests and ability to back out
  AI: Ricardo and Zach: File bugs

--
Linaro release process improvements
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linaro-project-management/+spec/linaro-general-release-process-improvements-lcq4.11