lp-l10n-fr-community team mailing list archive

Re: French translation

Hi Kip,

You could indeed help translators to produce better translations faster.

First, let me give you a simple example:
The first untranslated string from VLR in French is currently "Studio Hardware". A gettext context is also present but it is just "Studio hardware..." (I don't know if this was intended to be extracted as a gettext context, but you will agree this is not very helpful).

Personally, I can't translate this string because I don't know what it is referring to.
Is this a menu item? A window title? A button? (which does what?)
Is this a kind of editor for hardware? (which hardware?) or is this an hardware implementation of a kind of "studio"?

And, as I said, I just took the first untranslated string ;-)

As a volunteer who don't have much free time, I'm not motivated enough to ask you more details about each of these string. And, as a user, I would rather see untranslated strings than poorly translated ones.

There are two ways for you to improve this situation.
First, you should improve existing gettext contexts and provide them for most (if not all) strings. Secondly, you should document an easy way for translators to actually test the software with and without their translation (gettext context is not always enough, good translations are often tweaked so that the language style is consistent across the app and depending of the UI design where they are actually found).

I'm aware that this may require a lot of work but, well, this is the cost for ensuring a good translation quality when it has to be done by third parties who don't know much (yet?) about your project.

Cheers,
Nicolas