Re: Should we solicit or nominate coordinators?

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 13:40 +0800, Mario Behling wrote:
> Thank you David!
>
> I have added a team section to the wiki at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu . I guess for the beginning people can
> just add their names here if they wish. Subproject coordinators -
> people can become that according to their contribution I guess. Please
> add your names to your field of interest.

OK - I will do that.

> Concerning the wiki, the more comments we leave the more difficult it
> seems to follow - even though it is nice to have background infos and
> opinions. Not sure which way to go, but I think some things are easier
> discussed on a mailing list and as people join the IRC set up by
> Elfgoh at irc.freenode.net #lubuntu

The wiki model of documentation writing is both powerful and limited by
the same thing: its free-form nature and the fact that anyone with
access can contribute. Ultimately, like wikipedia, editors get involved
to structure it and guide its growth.

In our case, we have probably already reached the point where someone
should step in and start dividing it into separate pages based on the
different sections that have already been set up. We could the replace
the base page with an intro + table of contents into the content itself.
A brief "how to contribute to this wiki" page is also useful to give
contributors a basic idea of the layout so that they can more easily
insert their contributions into the larger structure.

If there is general interest in this sort of refactoring now, before the
wiki page itself gets really unwieldy, I would be happy to work on it.
What does everyone think?

As an aside, it is for this reason that I prefer a CMS such as Drupal.
It comes with several reasonable structures, like "blog" and "book",
already available as modules. They make structuring a larger,
multi-contributor document a lot easier. The trade-off is that their
initial set up requires more effort.

I do want to avoid getting too wrapped up in site building if it takes
time away from working on the software. However, as a technical writer,
I've seen what happens to many projects where documentation is an
afterthought. It's not pretty! (8->

> Best regards,
>
> Mario

Cheers