Re: Should we solicit or nominate coordinators?

Hi,

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:59 PM, C David Rigby <c.david.rigby@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 13:40 +0800, Mario Behling wrote:
>> Thank you David!
>>
>> I have added a team section to the wiki at
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu . I guess for the beginning people can
>> just add their names here if they wish. Subproject coordinators -
>> people can become that according to their contribution I guess. Please
>> add your names to your field of interest.
>>

> OK - I will do that.

Good.

>> Concerning the wiki, the more comments we leave the more difficult it
>> seems to follow - even though it is nice to have background infos and
>> opinions. Not sure which way to go, but I think some things are easier
>> discussed on a mailing list and as people join the IRC set up by
>> Elfgoh at irc.freenode.net #lubuntu
>>

> The wiki model of documentation writing is both powerful and limited by
> the same thing: its free-form nature and the fact that anyone with
> access can contribute. Ultimately, like wikipedia, editors get involved
> to structure it and guide its growth.
>
> In our case, we have probably already reached the point where someone
> should step in and start dividing it into separate pages based on the
> different sections that have already been set up. We could the replace
> the base page with an intro + table of contents into the content itself.
> A brief "how to contribute to this wiki" page is also useful to give
> contributors a basic idea of the layout so that they can more easily
> insert their contributions into the larger structure.
>
> If there is general interest in this sort of refactoring now, before the
> wiki page itself gets really unwieldy, I would be happy to work on it.
> What does everyone think?

Yes, good idea. We can also have a look on XFCE in the wiki, how they do it.

> As an aside, it is for this reason that I prefer a CMS such as Drupal.
> It comes with several reasonable structures, like "blog" and "book",
> already available as modules. They make structuring a larger,
> multi-contributor document a lot easier. The trade-off is that their
> initial set up requires more effort.

Yes, and also everyone has to sign up again.

> I do want to avoid getting too wrapped up in site building if it takes
> time away from working on the software. However, as a technical writer,
> I've seen what happens to many projects where documentation is an
> afterthought. It's not pretty! (8->

I would like to focus on the distro itself first and use existing
channels. The documentation team could use a Drupal or something
similar (even the wiki might be ok), but we need to get enough people
first. I think working in a group to get the distro going and having a
first release will get a lot of attention and will make more people to
join hopefully. I hope to use this push then to get more focus to
those tasks such as documentation as well. At first we need something
to document :-)

Best,

Mario

--