Re: Lubuntu proposed technical preview (called lx-ultra)

Le jeudi 10 décembre 2009 à 09:28 -0500, David Sugar a écrit :
> Ultimately I think mplayer is a problem, at least from the perspective
> of being an "official" variant, and especially with respect to codecs.
> That being said, I am also aware many will choose to install mplayer if
> it's not in the default install, as I am aware many use medibuntu repos.
See https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mplayer/+bug/214727
If mplayer go to universe, this problem will be gone.

> Leszek Lesner wrote:
> > Here a technical preview of a LXDE based Ubuntu (Lubuntu proposed) Desktop based on Karmic Koala.
> >
> > Software included :
> > Kernel 2.6.32-7 (lucid)
> > PCManFM 0.5.2 (bugfixed release)
> > gnome-mplayer (+ codecs)
> > aqualung
> > xfburn (burning app)
> > claws-mail (mail client)
> > chromium-browser (build 4.0.226) (webbrowser)
> > people 0.2 (manage vcards)
> > orage (manage vcal)
> > gnome-alsamixer (audiomixer app)
> > OpenOffice 3.1 (fitts on cd but maybe too memory intensive, especially for 128 MB RAM users)
> > WICD to manage networks
> > gigolo (as networkmanager and computer icon on the desktop to launch and mount drives [convenience for windows switcher] )

Some of those applications are not part of Ubuntu official repositories,
so it can't be proposed for Lubuntu if we want to build it with Ubuntu
architecture.
Also, to discuss specific application, please open another separate
thread.

> > Some apps like network-manager , gnome-power-manager, xfce4-volumed that use the new notify-osd system are fine but seem to eat to much memory so I removed them for now and put in some replacements, like wicd and a volume.sh script.
> > I also added those apps from the app proposel page that seem to do best in my opinion.
Notify-osd can be replace by standart notification-daemon, which may
have less memory usage. Also, xfce-power-manager for example doesn't
requiert a notification program, so this could be a solution.

> > PS: I will put the artwork onto the lucid incoming artwork very soon: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Artwork/Incoming/Lucid
> > aswell as the openbox configuration file/patch for the added hotkeys.
Thanks :)