Re: Lubuntu proposed technical preview (called lx-ultra)

Ultimately I think mplayer is a problem, at least from the perspective
of being an "official" variant, and especially with respect to codecs.
That being said, I am also aware many will choose to install mplayer if
it's not in the default install, as I am aware many use medibuntu repos.

Leszek Lesner wrote:
> Here a technical preview of a LXDE based Ubuntu (Lubuntu proposed) Desktop based on Karmic Koala.
>
> Software included :
> Kernel 2.6.32-7 (lucid)
> PCManFM 0.5.2 (bugfixed release)
> gnome-mplayer (+ codecs)
> aqualung
> xfburn (burning app)
> claws-mail (mail client)
> chromium-browser (build 4.0.226) (webbrowser)
> people 0.2 (manage vcards)
> orage (manage vcal)
> gnome-alsamixer (audiomixer app)
> OpenOffice 3.1 (fitts on cd but maybe too memory intensive, especially for 128 MB RAM users)
> WICD to manage networks
> gigolo (as networkmanager and computer icon on the desktop to launch and mount drives [convenience for windows switcher] )
>

> I changed some config files of openbox to support FN-Keys for some netbooks (so Volume up and down should work). Included is also a custom theme and a LXDE Menu button.
>
> Some new hotkeys:
> CTRL+ALT+T will now launch a new Terminal window
> CTRL+ALT+D will now launch a new filemanager window (SUPER + D will hide all windows and show the desktop)
>
> Some apps like network-manager , gnome-power-manager, xfce4-volumed that use the new notify-osd system are fine but seem to eat to much memory so I removed them for now and put in some replacements, like wicd and a volume.sh script.
> I also added those apps from the app proposel page that seem to do best in my opinion.
> See : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Applications
> The CDRigBy from the other features would be nice to include, but the website seems to be down.
> More on Lubuntu : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu
> How to get involved: http://blog.lxde.org/?p=562
>
> The obligatory screenshots:
> xsplash: http://ubuntu-pics.de/bild/33545/2009_12_08_201127_1280x800_scrot_iYt3XS.png
> desktop: http://ubuntu-pics.de/bild/33546/2009_12_08_201146_1280x800_scrot_utIQ4J.png
>
> Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2351433/lx-ultra-remix.iso
> MD5: 29811ba871d3a4088de8f71ac1a7948b lx-ultra-remix.iso
>
> Note: This is only a testing version and is not intent to run on a productive machine. Virtualbox seems to have problems loading the vboxvideo driver thats not avaiable. Simply edit the xorg.conf and try to load it with the vesa driver.
>
> Comments and feedback are appreciated :)
>
> PS: I will put the artwork onto the lucid incoming artwork very soon: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Artwork/Incoming/Lucid
> aswell as the openbox configuration file/patch for the added hotkeys.
>

> Regards,
> Leszek

begin:vcard
fn:David Sugar