Re: Tested on MSI Wind U100

To repond to the Gui interface for server.

I work daily as administrator, I have Ubuntu as internet/firewall server. I think its easier with gui interface like LXDE. Because if I do it in console I have to go to the forum again to get the instruction for the setup and all that stuff and ofcourse I always forget something like installing DHCP-server, maskirq something package in the apt. And I see alot of people with the same profession has the same problems.And there is allot of server with sort kind gui interface like PF-sense but its webbased its very good.As David said it the early mail to have soho server on a netbook. I had a situation where I needed a laptop to replace the email server. And its amaze me again how powerfull linux can be but the time to build up and finding other info costed me time. But in my opinion it will be nice to have LXDE on server edition with some programs and tutorials and sample to help out the daily problem. Even an average administrators with good scenarios doesnt always work out the problems in my cases specially newbies. A server on a flashdisk will be nice in critical situation. Just plug in start the pc and take over the network.

In a flash I remember article about Media Entertainment Server Geexbox... A server, you can listen to the music and watch tv channels like MythTv and if you have a tv tuner it will be great.. If I am correct you can do even videostreaming thru wirelles to other pc's at home... I guess its possible to install LXDE on the server so if you acces your server you will get LXDE on your pc or other gadget and do something with your files,printing or whatever its is just like in a Unix terminals in the 80's and 90's.Ltsp, David you talked about that I guess its something to do with it...

Thanks for reading,
Josef

Dallas Wiebelhaus wrote:
I agree with David. Also anyone who is performing these highly specialized installations is certainly going to have the knowledge required to open the command line and "sudo apt-get whatever gui or lack thereof" he/she wants.