Re: Lubuntu Lucid Alpha 1 "Preview"

Hi,

I have a 10 year old Dell Latitude CPt (celeron 333, 512MB RAM). It's been
sitting in the closet for the past 4-5 years. Couldn't install Lubuntu on
it, neither could I run it from CD. Not sure what is the problem. During
install I saw several messages like:
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block xxxx,
then just got a blank (black) screen and cd is spinning. Is this problem
caused by a bad CD image?
I had winXP running on it before, then I tried Masonux (ubuntu 9.10 and
LXDE), which installed and run fine. If you can guide me I can do some
debugging what to do to figure out where is the problem, but I'm not an
experienced linux user, so can't do much more right now.

Another install I did on a 5-6 year old desktop (Shuttle SS51, P4 1.8GHz,
512MB ram). No problems at all, it flies (it feels much faster than regular
Ubuntu, but not sure how can it be measured). The only problem I had is that
I only allocated 2.2GB hard disk to the partition I was installing it, and
complained that it needs at least 2.4GB, so 2.6GB did the trick :). After
installation I checked and Lubuntu uses a little more than 1GB of disk
space. Nice.

After playing with this distro for a few hours these are my remarks:
Things I changed: desktop background and the Program/"Start" icon, I just
simply can't get used to lxde logo. To me it seems ugly, sorry :(

Things missing by Firefox from sites I visited: Flash and Java.

Thing I miss from Ubuntu: date/time has location and temperature
notification. Can this be added somehow? What component is that in regular
Ubuntu? That's something I got used to and really miss it.

Lubuntu is a really nice, clean, lean distro. Love it more and more.

Thanks guys.
Zoltan