Re: Default Browser

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 04:18:06 -0000, Julián Alarcón <alarconj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Some notes:

Lubuntu is Ubuntu and free software, so, is not JUST for linux geeks,
is for all "human beings".
Lubuntu will be a light OS, so, no big resources. The main goal of
Lubuntu is to bring Ubuntu to old PCs (here on Colombia many people
(rural zones) use Pentium II + 256 of RAM + 10 GB DD + 1024x768 max.
resolution), and, if we can give a complete experience to old
computers, we'll score!!

* Browse trough a Terminal? Lynx is completely out.

* Chrome is NOT free software [1]

* Chromium really is free software, but, Chromium is NOT a final
browser,just a development branch, so.. Support for Chromium is
unknown, but, Chromium is now on Lucid, so, maybe this won't be a
problem.

* Firefox is great, and Firefox 3.6 rulez! But, is not fast.

* Midori is great, but have some render and identification problems,
and less features.

* Opera is NOT free software, one less...

So, we have: Firefox, Chromium, and Midori.

* The big faults of Chomium are, no official support (so Midori) from
Canonical and from Google (Chromium is just a name project for Google)
AND a big amount of memory use (I'm testing Chromium and with 7 tabs I
got 815 MB used!!! (No flash guys)).
Don't think so much on HTML5 (video), my PC waste more CPU watching
OGG (on Firefox) and h264 (on Chromium) than Flash on both (this is
sad but true, there are not good video libraries yet)

* Midori is a great tool, not official support from Canonical, but,
Midori developers are supporting Midori, and this is good. And, Midori
has been on Ubuntu repos since Hardy, so, we got some experience..

* Firefox is great, but, it's not so fast, and we need something fast
(remember, old PC's). Firefox have extensions, browser market, support
from many sites, official support from Canonical and Mozilla,low
memory use.

So, my favorites:

* Midori + Extension to bring "false" identification of Firefox or
Safari (I like more Firefox ID) to surpass identification problems

* Firefox, keep it simple. Firefox is now a great web browser, and has
many many people behind.

Having now used Lubuntu on a PII with 128MB RAM, I have to say I tend to agree with the above. Once you open 2 or 3 pages with either Chromium or FF the machine can be come quite unresponsive as the poor drive gets thrashed with things swapping in an out. Going to try Midori again latter.

Note: Don't think on LTS status, I guest that Lubuntu won't be an LTS
release (just like Kubuntu 8.04).

I think that was me that throw that one in. I just remember the confusion with the two KDE 8.04 releases

[1] http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html