Re: Other things to do with a Lubuntu installation

Le dimanche 21 mars 2010 à 21:56 +0000, Phill Whiteside a écrit :
> I know that lubuntu's primary target group is low-spec computers, but
> it is such a lovely low resource hungry distro, I suggest that we also
> include a little 'something' to
> let people know that it is a 'full' distro.
I prefer to focus on the main goal of Lubuntu for now, we don't have a
big team, and the goal of Lubuntu is clearly not to be used for all the
uses cases covered by Ubuntu. We don't have enough people to do this.

> An example is mine, and a couple of others, using it as a great GUI
> for a server (We're running LAMP).
>

> As to some of the other things it can do, and do well, earlier we had
> a new lubuntu'eer on #lubuntu asking about configuring up a dual
> monitor system off their laptop.
> It was painless, once I found a nice easy
> 'How-To' http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=849197
>

> Most laptops have an external monitor plug on them, and a lot of them
> can stretch to dual display.
>

> It took all of about 5 minutes, the result looks pretty good
> --> http://i44.tinypic.com/2u8uikz.png
>

> crazysoldier has said it is quite okay to use the screen-shot to show
> just how good & easy Lubuntu is.
Managing dual screen is a pain, because it depends on the drivers you
use. If you use a driver which use randr, a tool like the one in Ubuntu
should work. But for nvidia or ati users using the binary blob, it will
not work. There is no universal solution, even for Ubuntu.

> Another lubunteer, cousteau, has a patch for laptops so you can use
> the Fn key for the numeric keyboard that lives amongst the 789uiojklm
> keys without doing Fn-NumLock, it's a real small script that runs on
> startup if installed.
If it's working, it's not something that should be Lubuntu specific. And
it should be something in the configuration tool, not running by some
script at startup.