Re: Other things to do with a Lubuntu installation

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 00:10:43 +0100
Julien Lavergne <gilir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le dimanche 21 mars 2010 à 21:56 +0000, Phill Whiteside a écrit :
> > I know that lubuntu's primary target group is low-spec computers, but
> > it is such a lovely low resource hungry distro, I suggest that we also
> > include a little 'something' to
> > let people know that it is a 'full' distro.
> I prefer to focus on the main goal of Lubuntu for now, we don't have a
> big team, and the goal of Lubuntu is clearly not to be used for all the
> uses cases covered by Ubuntu. We don't have enough people to do this.
>

> > An example is mine, and a couple of others, using it as a great GUI
> > for a server (We're running LAMP).
> >

> > As to some of the other things it can do, and do well, earlier we had
> > a new lubuntu'eer on #lubuntu asking about configuring up a dual
> > monitor system off their laptop.
> > It was painless, once I found a nice easy
> > 'How-To' http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=849197
> >

> > Most laptops have an external monitor plug on them, and a lot of them
> > can stretch to dual display.
> >

> > It took all of about 5 minutes, the result looks pretty good
> > --> http://i44.tinypic.com/2u8uikz.png
> >

> > crazysoldier has said it is quite okay to use the screen-shot to show
> > just how good & easy Lubuntu is.
> Managing dual screen is a pain, because it depends on the drivers you
> use. If you use a driver which use randr, a tool like the one in Ubuntu
> should work. But for nvidia or ati users using the binary blob, it will
> not work. There is no universal solution, even for Ubuntu.
Knoppix (based on LXDE) has a modified Xrandr with 3 easy buttons to either choose to have both screens cloningmode on, screen 0 on only or screen 1 on only. The advanced Tab looks like the one we ship now.
From the usability point of view this would be a better solution as we ship now.
From the technical point of view: This will work out of the box with , intel, ati & nvidia cards (all using the opensource drivers , nvidia the new nouveau one).
We should ship this one, if we find the source. I cannot find it on the knoppix repo. I guess it might be even a official lxrandr patch.

> > Another lubunteer, cousteau, has a patch for laptops so you can use
> > the Fn key for the numeric keyboard that lives amongst the 789uiojklm
> > keys without doing Fn-NumLock, it's a real small script that runs on
> > startup if installed.
> If it's working, it's not something that should be Lubuntu specific. And
> it should be something in the configuration tool, not running by some
> script at startup.
>
> Regards,
> Julien Lavergne

Multimediakeys should be supported. This are 3 lines of code in .Xmodmap in /etc/skel. This is really no pain in the ass.