State of the development

Hi,

I think it's a good time to do a quick summarize of the state of the
development of Lubuntu.

== About Lubuntu in the *buntu family ==

As you may know, Lubuntu will probably not be officially part of the
*buntu family. It doesn't mean we will never be part of it.

More important, it will not stop us to release an iso. The question will
be : what is the statut of this iso. Stable ? Final ? RC ? Beta ? For
now, I'm inclined to make the statut RC, to mark we are not officially
in Ubuntu, but target to have a stable release.

Target for this release is still like others *buntu, end of April. We
may have some delay, depending of the state of Lubuntu at this time.

== About the state of Lubuntu ==

There are several main components which are very young : pcmanfm was
rewritten, and lxdm is quite new. I think the current state of pcmanfm
is quite good. For lxdm, due to many changes in the boot process of
Ubuntu, it was quite unstable during Lucid. I hope main issues are
resolved with the version in Beta2.

To be general, I'm quite happy with the performance result so far,
memory usage is low, CPU usage not too bad. I'm still think it needs
many more tests. General use cases should be ok, but intensive and
not-classic use cases can be more problematic. That's why reporting bugs
is important :-) We also lack some features for everyday uses. As we
can't fix them for this release, some works will remain for futur
release :-)

To summarize, it's a good starting point, a preview of what Lubuntu is
capable.

Feedbacks over the web are mostly positive, it's a nice indicator, but
doesn't mean it's perfect.

To finish, it's not a technical point of view, but I think we have the
best artwork of all *buntu version ;-)

== About the work needed ==

There are still a lot of works to do, I'll do a summarize when the final
release will be out. For now, keep testing and report bugs please :-)