Re: Installing Lubuntu to usb drives

On Saturday 08,May,2010 06:24 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
On 05/08/2010 05:34 PM, C David Rigby wrote:
On Saturday 08,May,2010 05:27 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
On 05/08/2010 05:02 PM, C David Rigby wrote:
On Saturday 08,May,2010 04:53 PM, Goh Lip wrote:

I assumed that if I do a manual partitioning of the USB flash drive's
storage, I could simply skip allocating swap. The result would be that
there would be no fstab entry for swap. I'll try it and find out at some
point.

I agree with you that my laptop w/ 2 GB RAM is probably not going to
need swap with reasonable desktop usage under Lubuntu. My test system
back in Singapore w/ 256 MB RAM would probably need it once I have mail,
web browser, and a few other apps running.

Thanks Goh Lip. Cheers, David

Hi, David, just a thought, maybe this might help..
You might want to ensure that your S'pore test system have hard drive swap to a reasonable volumn, say at least 600 Mb. Then change your Lubuntu fstab to include that swap partition so that when running on that test system, it can use that.

As you mentioned, there is probably no need for the swap at your laptop.

Regards - Goh Lip

ps: S'pore still have computers less than 1 Gb ram?
    Thought they'd all be in Batam by now.   :)
    Buy you a Tiger beer when you're up north.

This computer is an old PIII-800 w/ honest-to-goodness Rambus RDRAM. Two 128 MB RIMMs are installed. It's such a museum piece, I had to keep it & find something to do w/ it. {8->