Re: 64-bit install?

Your question opens a higher-level debate, and this is why I'm answering.
I'd be curious to know why you "need to know" this. Did one of your friends
argue "it's not a "true" 64bit..."?

64bit OS adds 2 main benefits:
* memory addressing that is much much larger (so large in fact that your
computer isn't high peformance enough to handle it),
* and allowing 64bit applications to run - where it makes a difference is
CAD, especially 3D solid modeling.
*with the exception of the new intel multicore i3 i5 i7 processors, your
computer will be SLOWER running a mix of 32bit and 64 bit applications
(meaning, if you run 32bit Office, or ANY 32bit stuff, it will be slower,
and you'll never get 100% 64bit apps and utils going - not in a free OS
anyways).

So, are you running a server or server farm perhaps?  You wouldn't select
Lubuntu for that anyways.  In fact, I don't even know why they BOTHER
allocating resources to maintaining a 64 bit version, when there is lots of
bugs to iron out in the 32 bit edition.
IMHO distros should be labeled differently, to make it clearer to users that
your computer will probably run faster with the 32-bit optimised version,
and that you install the 64bit only if you have 64bit specific applications,
like a $5000 Autodesk Inventor software... which incidentally, DOESN'T run
under Linux anyways!  What are we left with, in 64bit under Linux?  Maybe
some multi-media editing stuff... well, there IS a 64bit Ubuntu that does
just that, already out there.

Lubuntu's very reason of existence is because people don't like the fact
that Linux has gotten bloated and is starting to slow down 3 year old
machines.
Because on a Core2Duo and higher (like the new i3 i5 i7 multi-core
processors), you don't feel a difference in the slightest... BUT the current
state of this OS does make itself felt!  And with a fast machine, after much
frustration and working really hard to make it work, you find yourself
scrambling to go back to Mint-Ubuntu, Ubuntu... or Xubuntu which has been
around longer and does pretty well on slower hardware, and allows owners of
faster machines that satisfaction of knowing their OS has less bloat.

Before we devote programmer time to develop a 64bit version, which is in
contradiction to the need this OS wants to fullfill, maybe we should iron
out the bugs in the standard 32bit edition first.  Just my opinion...
because right now, Lubuntu is BETA at best!  And I'm really pissed that they
label it final release, and waste valuable resources for stuff no one
needs.  After all, if you have a slower PC, netbook, whatever, that requires
Lubuntu, WHY oh WHY would you need, and WHAT would you do with, a 64bit
version in the first place?

Wanting to maintain too many versions before you get one version straight,
is only bad for the distro.  Hence the harsh words, because the Lubuntu team
is really shooting themselves in the foot here... especially if they want
canonical to endorse them one day.  Get it right, and then see if you want
to branch out in to other versions (especially if they go contrary to the
distro's mission).