Re: 64-bit install?

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:40 AM, CAD Outsourcing <CADout@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Your question opens a higher-level debate, and this is why I'm answering.
> I'd be curious to know why you "need to know" this. Did one of your friends
> argue "it's not a "true" 64bit..."?

Hi, and thanks for the informative, snipped, information!

I figured I should reply, since I began this thread about the 64-bit stuff.

My thinking was purely naive.  I have a 3-year-old machine with AMD
3800+ dual core, 4G of slow memory, etc.  I'm probably right about on
the line between machines which need Lubuntu and those which don't.

I have thought along these lines:

- I have a 64-bit CPU, so a 64-bit OS makes sense.

- 32-bit Ubuntu sees about 3.5G, and 64-bit sees about 3.9G.

- What have I got to lose?

Hardly an astute analysis of the problem, is it? <grin>

Thank you for clearing it up!  I've never been sure if I needed the
64-bit, but figured they were offering it for some reason. :)

Regards,
Bob