Re: Fwd: Debian

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:45:28 -0400
Tom H <tomh0665@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> What did you choose to do?
>
> Regards
> Tom

Hi Tom, as of this point, I don't think I will be trying anything other
than Ubuntu; but it has really been a long long time I had tried other
OS. When kde changed from kde3 to kde4, it wasn't really ready and I
used the alpha versions of kubuntu as the newer kde versions in alpha's
were much much better. At that time I also kept my trusty hardy in kde3
and it is only recently that I cleared that.

I had used red hat and that's where I usually end up with a blinking
cursor or a grub prompt after installation and I had dependency hell.
Mandrake was a pleasant surprise, everything works well and it was so
easy to install and maintain, and I liked the kde desktop. Suse was
another improvement but went downhill when Novell took over. I normally
had a spare partition ready for new try-outs but usually the new try
outs don't last 2 weeks.

When I was traveling a lot, I took along a DSL thumb drive in 64 MB,
usb1 and that was fun. Puppy linux somehow don't quite cut it. So, with
some historical baggage, I tried Lubuntu in a 2 GB thumb and it was
good. That thumb drive is now stuck to my desktop computer even though
I have 2 empty hd partitions.

So, I am pretty settled but if you have some recommendations, I might
be tempted.

Good to talk to you.

Regards - Goh Lip