Re: WARNING: X-server breakage coming soon to a computer near you

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lane, latest update of X11-xkb-utils solved this. But of course, it would
> be no help if one cannot boot in, even to the recovery console, to do the
> upgrade. So, if you are still having the same problem booting up, append
> "nouveau.modeset=0" to the linux line at grub and boot up to do the upgrade.

I booted to the rec con and this time an "apt-get -f something" fixed the
python problem of yesterday. So I was able to do the upgrades that were
still waiting.

But the boot hung at the same place in the normal boot, so I tried the
"nouveau.modeset=0" addition to the linux line. I typed Ctrl-X to boot, so I
guess that addition was implemented.

But it hung at the same place in the normal boot. In the rec con, "startx"
errored out with complaints about a driver (with or without xorg.conf).

Maybe I'll try the "sudo aptitude remove nvidia-current" from the Ubuntu
forums... maybe tomorrow. Or maybe I'll just forget about doing anything for
a while.

Lane