Re: WARNING: X-server breakage coming soon to a computer near you

On 08/12/2010 05:16 AM, Lane Lester wrote:
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip@xxxxxxx
<mailto:g.lip@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Lane, latest update of X11-xkb-utils solved this. But of course, it
    would be no help if one cannot boot in, even to the recovery
    console, to do the upgrade. So, if you are still having the same
    problem booting up, append "nouveau.modeset=0" to the linux line at
    grub and boot up to do the upgrade.

For good measure, try without the "splash" and "quiet"; "nouveau.modeset=0" is without the quotation marks.

Hope you have better luck, but it is interesting you can get to the recovery console. Then there (with networking) do update and upgrade ; may have the new package which will solve all this.

I booted to the rec con and this time an "apt-get -f something" fixed
the python problem of yesterday. So I was able to do the upgrades that
were still waiting.

But the boot hung at the same place in the normal boot, so I tried the
"nouveau.modeset=0" addition to the linux line. I typed Ctrl-X to boot,
so I guess that addition was implemented.

But it hung at the same place in the normal boot. In the rec con,
"startx" errored out with complaints about a driver (with or without
xorg.conf).

I think, but I am not quite sure, startx for lxde is "startlxde"

Maybe I'll try the "sudo aptitude remove nvidia-current" from the Ubuntu
forums... maybe tomorrow. Or maybe I'll just forget about doing anything
for a while.

Lane

Regards - Goh Lip