Re: How to know applications are lightweight or not?

Le vendredi 20 août 2010 à 12:53 +0700, Duy Hùng Trần a écrit :
> When I introduce Lubuntu to people in my country, I'm sure the most
> asked questions are: "How to ... in Lubuntu?", "What software to ...
> in Lubuntu?". Most people in Vietnam still use Microsoft Windows, they
> don't know about Linux, about Ubuntu or Lubuntu, but they are ready to
> try something new, to try Linux and the most important thing they want
> to know is their jobs in Windows would be able to be done in
> Lubuntu/Linux or not.
> There are many applications in Ubuntu repository that I could suggest
> them to people but I really don't how to recognize those applications
> are lightweight and suitable for Lubuntu, for their computers or not.
> Do we have any tip to choose the right applications for Lubuntu?

It's difficult to say before testing them :)

In Lubuntu, we have some criteria for applications we want to include :
- Low memory usage
- Low system usage (CPU, hard-disk i/o ...)
- Low dependencies
- Still fast :)

As you see, you can't define them, without testing the application :)