Re: How to know applications are lightweight or not?

To have a application considered for inclusion it must be stable, use no
disk space to install and use no RAM or CPU time when running. If it meets
all those of those, AND is in the official Ubuntu Repositories there will be
a vote held. (yes, it really does seem like that when proposing a new
included application).

If you find a candidate that you feel meets most of the above, please do put
it forward. Even if it does not get included on the release it would be
possible to "give it a mention" in the same way that Deadbeef is as lean,
mean and keen music player, liked by many but not in the official repos.

I'm sure this is documented somewhere, but reboot your system up, let it
settle  and issue *free* and *top* in the terminal window
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/DocumentationHelp/LXTerminal
Make a note of of memory
Mem:       1534516    1072532     *461984*          0     113556     457816

Free memory is in *bold*

And CPU usage

Tasks: 134 total,   1 running, 133 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  *1.3%us,*

Take a note of where the memory and CPU usage is (*bold*), then go to
install the programme.
If at this point it wants to bring in a lot additional parts, it is unlikely
to pass the requirements.

If it passes that step, then you can, if you wish install it [1]
and reboot. then issue the *free* and *top* command again to ensure the new
program is not 'eating up memory' or CPU usage

Start using the application for a little while then issue the commands again
and you can see what it is using, both in memory and CPU time.

[1] when installing use apt-get, or a ppa in order to remove a package from
your system if you wish it gone.

P.S. I've seen many discussions on this, if lubuntu could get a standard way
of testing of an application I think it is worth us having a 'bench-mark'.