Re: How to know applications are lightweight or not?

Am 21.08.2010 02:09, schrieb Phillip Whiteside:
> To have a application considered for inclusion it must be stable, use no
> disk space to install and use no RAM or CPU time when running. If it meets
> all those of those, AND is in the official Ubuntu Repositories there will be
> a vote held. (yes, it really does seem like that when proposing a new
> included application).
>
> If you find a candidate that you feel meets most of the above, please do put
> it forward. Even if it does not get included on the release it would be
> possible to "give it a mention" in the same way that Deadbeef is as lean,
> mean and keen music player, liked by many but not in the official repos.
>
> I'm sure this is documented somewhere, but reboot your system up, let it
> settle  and issue *free* and *top* in the terminal window
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/DocumentationHelp/LXTerminal
> Make a note of of memory
> Mem:       1534516    1072532     *461984*          0     113556     457816
>
> Free memory is in *bold*

Sry but measuring free memory is nonsense. Unused memory is wasted
memory. Its by far more important how much memory a single application
uses (without the libraries it needs) to check its efficency. If the
library isn't included by default in lubuntu you need to add this
library memory usage also (because it can't be shared between
applications, when only one app uses it).
The best way to check if an application is suitable is to grep an older
pc and test it there.
Speed + Stability are the far most important points that matter. But it
may be good to test also starting different applications in parallel to
watch if this slows down the application dramatically or not.
> And CPU usage
>
> Tasks: 134 total,   1 running, 133 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
> Cpu(s):  *1.3%us,*
>
> Take a note of where the memory and CPU usage is (*bold*), then go to
> install the programme.
> If at this point it wants to bring in a lot additional parts, it is unlikely
> to pass the requirements.
>
> If it passes that step, then you can, if you wish install it [1]
> and reboot. then issue the *free* and *top* command again to ensure the new
> program is not 'eating up memory' or CPU usage

Again CPU usage is important here. Memory usage might be also very high
depending on which application you use (QT and KDE applications share
there memory and reserve mostly more memory then they actually use)
> Start using the application for a little while then issue the commands again
> and you can see what it is using, both in memory and CPU time.

Issuing those commands and looking at there output gives only a vague
orientation on how this app might behave. This is definitely not an
objective way to found out how an app behaves on low memory.

> Regards,
> Phill.
> [1] when installing use apt-get, or a ppa in order to remove a package from
> your system if you wish it gone.
>
> P.S. I've seen many discussions on this, if lubuntu could get a standard way
> of testing of an application I think it is worth us having a 'bench-mark'.

There are too many applications and too many different libraries doing
to much different stuff. I don't think we can do a "automated"
benchmark. Every app must be real time tested. (if they don't fall of
already before testing i.e. thinking of JAVA apps which bring big
dependencies and benefical only for one app)

Regards,
Leszek