Can't login through LXDM but console login *does* work

Hi all,

I have installed Lubuntu 10.04 on a laptop and since upgraded it to
10.04.1. At the time that I installed it, I noticed that login didn't
work so I set it up to do autologin (i.e. I bypassed the whole LXDM
login screen). That was several months ago and I'd forgotten why I had
set it up like that. So I removed the autologin from
/etc/lxdm/default.conf and /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf. That's when I
remembered why I had set it up like that. :-) So now I can't login any
more. :-(

The LXDM login doesn't work. I can type in the user name and password
as often as I like, the system doesn't let me login. It just asks for
the user name again. If I try it on the command line (CTRL-ALT-F2)
then it works perfectly. The user exists and has a valid, working
password. I've been googling for hours but I can't figure out what's
wrong. I've tried a few random things (reinstall policykit-1, comment
out pam_gnome_keyring in /etc/pam.d/lxdm) but nothing makes any
difference.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Hilco