Re: Zentyal

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Benny Hult <benny@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/11/2010 05:29 PM, matthew byers wrote:
>> Zentyal is nothing more then the old "all in one server" ebox! (i used it
>> before) This is not related to the Lubuntu distro. There are many linux
>> respins that use lxde. Lubuntu is not (unless hidden from the public) in any
>> way tailored to or around zentyal nor interacts with its development!
>>

> I agree.
> I've tried Zentyal I've found it horrible.
>
> I had some problems http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php?topic=5259.0
> and there was no resolution for it, so I made a rollback to pfSense and
> I'm once again a happy camper, becouse I noticed my problems with
> pfSense was that I changed shell from sh to zsh ;)
>
> Zentyal has a nice web interface, it's easy to install on fresh lubuntu,
> but after all: all eggs in a same basket is not that good thing when you
> think about it twice. And since it has a DNS problem like that (a very
> basic thing), I cannot suggest it.
>
> I don't want to bash it or anything, becouse some features seem to work
> perfectly, but as Gordon Ramsay says "less is more".
>
> Just my personal opinion about Zentyal, I really didnt never try the
> "Zentyal Desktop", but I think I didn't miss much.
>
> ps. Zentyal config saving is really annoying if you compare to pfSense.

I had problems too trying to make Zentyal a network gateway. Wiping &
reinstalling didn't help, nor did manually installing packages.

But it is not the same kind of product as pfSense, which is just a
firewall, as I understand it. Zentyal is an all-in-one integrated
server: file/print, email, web etc.

In that role, it worked absolutely fine for me and was really easy to
get working.

 Its rivals are things like ClearOS or SME Server, not firewalls such
as m0n0wall or Smoothwall.

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@xxxxxxxxx
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • ICQ: 73187508