Re: Zentyal

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Andrew Woodhead
<andrew.woodhead666@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It may be a low resource gui but running an X server adds extra services
> running which lowers security. There are also more things that can crash and
> hang the system. Fewer complications make a better server

Personally, I'd tend to agree, but people coming across from Windows
expect a GUI on a machine. A lot of modern Windows users never ever
even look at the command line & have no idea how to use one - so a
server that boots to nothing but a command line is going to be seen as
scary and intimidating.

Zentyal makes a decent effort in this direction. A modern server will
have gigs of RAM, a several-gigaHertz CPU and a graphics card, because
you simply can't build a machine without these things any more. They
picked a really lightweight desktop and stripped it right out to put
Zentyal together, and that seems a good choice to me.

I would like it if it were an optional install, to be honest, but it
worked fine on a couple of test machines for me.

And I thought the stripping-out of LXDE might be useful or relevant to
Lubuntu, but I'm beginning to regret saying anything now...! :¬)

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@xxxxxxxxx
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • ICQ: 73187508