Re: Lubuntu for anyone?

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 23:22:47 -0500
Tim Bernhard <ohiomoto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here is my short list:
> 1. Installing from USB didn't work until I made the USB without storage.
Isn't this a general Ubuntu problem.

> 2. Grub not updating after install.
A cock-up with the installer where os-prober didn't get installed.

> 3. Chrome not opening downloads properly until I changed xdg-open.
xdg-open does seem to be a mess in lubuntu and does need sorting

> 4. Having to learn how to add menu items to lxde.
Can you give some examples, as this is probably programs not complying with the freedesktop.org standard.

> 5. Not being able to find my NAS from PCmanFM.
A bit more information on this would be useful

> 6. Loosing some of my changes when Lubuntu updates. (Am I doing something
> wrong here???)
Again, some more information would be useful.

> I'll admit that the list isn't too bad, but keep in mind that I had to spend
> a good bit of time researching and implementing the solutions.
>
> So the question is what is the ultimate goal for Lubuntu.  I know you guys
> want it to be resource friendly.  But who is it aimed at?  The Linux geek
> who can tweak it or the "average Joe" who just want to be able to use it?
>  Can it be resource friendly and not need tweaking? Is it just a matter of
> time to sort it out or a matter philosophy?

The problem is, people, no matter how Lubuntu is set up out of the box not everybody will be happy.  As an example, I can't do with the panel on the bottom of the screen so move it to the top before adjusting anything else.
Really Lubuntu has to cope with both your average Joe and your average geek.  The real problem, with all software, are those people that fall between the two groups.  In this area there are again two groups.  Those that would like to tweak but don't know how, so don't.  The other is those that would like to tweak and don't know how, but do.  These two groups are the ones we need to listen to in order to make things easier (more user friendly?).
The main thing that comes from your missive is that Lubuntu needs to state it's goals louder and more clearly.  Some distros hide their weaknesses behind 'shiny', a lot of distros derived from Lubuntu do this.  Lubuntu isn't about 'shiny', it should be about functionality and this is what we shoul try and get across.

Sorry if this has been a bit rambling and thanks to Tim for bringing this up.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net