Lubuntu for anyone?

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about this the past couple of days and figured I would throw
it out there.  Does Lubuntu handle basic tasks well enough that anyone can
use it?

I've been using Ubuntu since 6.04 and by 8.04 I pretty much gave up Windows
all together.  (I keep a copy on my machine "just in case", but never really
need to use it.)  I've also played around with Fedora and more recently
Peppermint and Lubuntu.  In addition, I took two Red Hat Enterprise
Linux Administrator course while finishing up my Enterprise Computer
Programming degree at a local community college.
*
*
*Despite all of that I am NOT a expert Linux user. * I prefer GUI over
command line for most tasks.  And I usually have to do a little research
when trying to solve issues with my OS.  I can do the basics in Linux, but
really not much more without Google.  So I would say I'm armed with a lot
more Linux knowledge than your typical newbie, but not really skilled at it
using it.

So here's the deal.  I've run across several issues while using Lubuntu that
have consume a little more of my time that I would have liked.  Mostly just
little things, but they have all been things that I would expect my OS to
handle out of the box.

Here is my short list:
1. Installing from USB didn't work until I made the USB without storage.
2. Grub not updating after install.
3. Chrome not opening downloads properly until I changed xdg-open.
4. Having to learn how to add menu items to lxde.
5. Not being able to find my NAS from PCmanFM.
6. Loosing some of my changes when Lubuntu updates. (Am I doing something
wrong here???)

I'll admit that the list isn't too bad, but keep in mind that I had to spend
a good bit of time researching and implementing the solutions.

So the question is what is the ultimate goal for Lubuntu.  I know you guys
want it to be resource friendly.  But who is it aimed at?  The Linux geek
who can tweak it or the "average Joe" who just want to be able to use it?
 Can it be resource friendly and not need tweaking? Is it just a matter of
time to sort it out or a matter philosophy?

Personally, I would like to see it stay lightweight AND handle all of the
basics at the same time.  I realize Lubuntu is young and the devs are
busting their asses on it.  I really do appreciate it, but I really believe
that details matter and I hoping the Lubuntu team agrees because I want
Lubuntu to succeed.

Thanks for listening,

Tim

Follow ups