Re: Idea/Suggestion to say goodbye to xcreensaver

Le jeudi 24 février 2011 à 16:23 -0300, Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset a
écrit :
> Since Lubuntu is targeted for low-spec computers, xcreensaver is not a
> good choice to use since it causes problems such as: - In my three
> (old) machines I must kill the xcreensaver daemon in order to be able
> to install the system. - The idea is to make a good-looking effect but
> with older video cards the screensaver hangs or it is terribly slow.
> In fact in those three machines, once Lubuntu is installed I just
> remove xcreensaver and let the power-manager doing the trick of
> shutting-off my screen. It saves me from another app-running and the
> effect wanted is done (and even better since it shutts the screen off,
> it doesn't blank it... so it's more energy efficiency for Lubuntu)
> Speaking about this to Julien he pointed me to a problem I haven't
> seen: "lock the screen". So, Googling a little i've found xtrlock,
> something very lightweigth to use that locks the screen until you type
> your user pass: everything is locked and your mouse pointer becomes a
> blue lock (but since the screen will be off, you won't tell ;) The way
> to implement this would be that as soon as the power-manager shuts off
> the screen it launches the xtrlock... but this would take Lubuntu devs
> to perform the task of coding it into the gnome-power-manager.
>
> I stop here, waiting for reactions and good-wellcoming :)

xscreensaver have some issues that I can't fix so far :
- can't change the default behavior pour Lubuntu only (to set to blank
mode)
- can't stop it when playing videos

I'm also not really happy with it, it's one of the 1st thing I change on
a Lubuntu system.

To be able to remove, we need to identify the use cases, and see how we
can handle them.

For the locking screen, xtrlock doesn't seems to be appropriate, because
you need to hide the screen when you lock it (it's a security problem).
But there is also xlock (in xlockmore package) which could work.

For the screen saving, It's relative to CRT screen, which are still
used. But, having the ability to switch to a blank image maybe is
enough. And I don't think xlock can do it.

If there are other use cases, let me know :)