Re: Audio players

On 27 February 2011 13:10, Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset <jpxsat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mike:
>
> 2011/2/26 Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset <jpxsat@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> 2011/2/26 Mike Nokel <mnokel@xxxxxxxxx>
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>> I have just tested some audio players in my Lubuntu Maverick and I want
>>> to share my experience with you. First of all, my testing machine was Asus
>>> EEE PC 1015 pn. It has Atom N550 inside and 2 GB of memory.
>>> Firstly, I have installed deadbeef. I don't know whether it is a bug or
>>> not but after playing from one to three songs it stops playing at all. So
>>> this player was removed.
>>> Then I have read about audacious in this mail's list. I have installed it
>>> and it looked very nice, but used ~28% of my CPU. This was too big for me,
>>> so this player was also removed.
>>> Then I have found decibel audio player. This one used ~18% of my CPU and
>>> had very simple, but nice interface.
>>> I have also tried pogo audio player. It used ~16% of my CPU.
>>> So, now about two winners in this small compettion in my opinion. First
>>> of them is pragha. It is very fast, has simple but nice interface, is coded
>>> in C++ and uses ~14% of my CPU. And the second is alsaplayer. It has nice
>>> interface, equalizer and some available plugins that can imitate winamp
>>> style. It uses ~12% of my CPU. So I think that this is the best one for me.
>>> P.S. All of these players use nearly the same amount of memory.
>>> P.P.S. All digits were taken from htop utility.
>>> Best regards,
>>> Mike Nokel
>>
>> Mike:
>> I tried severall players for Lubuntu, and for me audacious win because:
>> - CPU doesn't get over 18% on an P3 at 768(1000) mhz
>> - It was the app consumming less RAM among all (this is a hard point to me
>> because at the time i did those tests i use to have 256ram)
>> - I can throw to it almost anything, it's codecs are very large
>> The amount of CPU you're experiencing it's maybe due that you tried it
>> freshly installed or changed from GTK skin to winamp skin or viceversa... in
>> those cases the cpu consuming gets crazy (don't know why). Just try it after
>> a reboot without touching anything to the conf :)
>> In an old machine i have, it is the only player that i could get to work
>> without messing with the sound output.
>> Julien also commented something about audacious development that was a
>> good thing to Lubuntu...
>> Anyway, i will test those players you're pointing, maybe effectively one
>> of them is better than audacious... i'm having some desapointments with the
>> latest versions of it (but i hope they will fix it)
>>

>> --
>> Jpxsat
>
> Decibel has gstreamer dependecies... something that in Lubuntu i don't think
> we are very friend of.
> Pogo and Pragha are not in the repositories (at least for 10.04) so it
> generates a problem for the Lubuntu team as they have to take in charge
> another package... (and so, i didn't even tried them)
> Alsa-Player is in the repos, no huge dependencies and it really impressed me
> about the cpu consumption, but taking a quick look at it, resulted that it's
> a very incomplete software... starting with the fact that it has no autoplay
> :( Audacious if a little more heavy for the CPU but it's a very complete
> piece of software ;)
> --
> jpxsat

Just a quick question. I have been using exaile for years now on gnome
and was wondering if it would be suitable? It has some gstreamer
dependencies though so if this is a deal breaker I guess not. The only
thing is I have been using it as a full features program on a quad
core box and it idles along under 1% cpu usage but I don't have the
ability to test it on older hardware so thought I'd just mention and
see if anyone has the ability to test this or not.

Regards,

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris