Re: Boot problems with Natty Alpha ISOs

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 15:00:43 +0300
Mikhail Maksimov <mcwillin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> Natty Alpha3 boots normally on the box in question, so I guess the problem
> was caused by some unidentified minor flaw in the build process for alphas
> 1&2, silently corrected by the new automated build process for
> alpha-20110228 and alpha3.
>
> Aftermath:
>
>    - the CD with all the four alphas (1, 2, 3 and 20110228) are perfectly
>    readable on both my "main" machine (the one where the discs were burned) and
>    "test" box. "dd if=/dev/cdrom.....|md5sum" results are as expected *on
>    both systems*.
>    - the main machine boots normally from all the four CDs
>    - the test box rejects alphas 1&2 (BIOS does not recognize them as
>    bootable) but boots normally from the other two alphas.
>
> Thank you all for help.

Glad to see you are now up and running.  It would be nice to know what caused the problem but, I doubt we'll ever know such are the vagaries for computers, and not just with Linux.   I now have a machine that doesn't recognise Windows 98 & XP boot disks but boots with any Linux distro I throw at it.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net